Research compiled by the Heritage Arts Legacy of Fort Erie
John Warren Jr. was the son of John Warren was born in 1777. He was the second son of John Warren, Sr. and his wife Susan. John Sr. was a career soldier with the 8th (The King’s) Regiment of Foot. In 1779 Warren Sr. left the army and was appoint commissary at Fort Erie. He became a prominent merchant and held many government posts.
John Warren, Jr. was a sailor in his early years (ref: The Warrens of Fort Erie, E.A. Cruikshank, Settlement of Bertie Township). In July 1796 he was recommended for a land grant of 400 acres. He was part of the family business and in 1802 was granted a lease on the Fort Erie/Black Rock ferry crossing. He would renew this lease several times and still held it at his death.
He served as Town Warden for Fort Erie in 1809/10, 1813, 1815/16, 1828 and 1830.
On April 16, 1811, Warren was granted Lots 6 and 7 Concessions 5 and 6 Bertie Twp., and on 10 Dec 10 1811 the Executive Council of Upper Canada gave another grant to “John Warren the Younger of Bertie Twp., Esquire for 700 acres of land in Lot 29, Concession 16 from the Niagara River Front upon Lake Erie, Bertie Twp., as per Order in Council dated 7 Aug 1811.”
In the spring of 1812, Captain John Warren Jr. was placed in command of the 3rd Regiment Lincoln Militia. He served in that capacity until January 25, 1813 when he was promoted to Major. On April 16, 1813 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the 3rd Regiment Lincoln Militia and served in that capacity until the end of the war. He commanded the garrison at Fort Erie in May1813 when Fort George fell and was ordered to bombard Black Rock to cover noise being made as stores and munitions were destroyed at Fort Erie prior to the garrison retreating west along the lake shore.
Captain Warren, Jr. would dismiss the militia but had them back on duty in June 1813. They remained active until the end of the war. (ref: National Archives Microfiche group 183676, Reels T10379 & T10387, RG9, 1B7 Vol. 1 No 224, Vol. 23 No. 1 and 118). His military service is well-documented within the National Archives digitized War of 1812 Upper Canada Returns, Nominal Rolls and Paylists — RG 91B7 Mikan 183676, Reel T10386.
After the war many Bertie Township residents filed claims for compensation for property damages caused by the enemy. John Warren’s claim for damages suffered at the hands of the enemy is listed at Archives Ontario, Claim #403 in Schedule of Claims, Class 2, Township of Bertie, District Niagara. He claimed 34 barrels of flour taken by the enemy and valued them at 68 pounds. Claim was certified by two witnesses. Payment recommended was 68 pounds.
In 1815 John Warren, Jr. was appointed Justice of the Peace, Justice of the Court of Requests and Collector of Customs. He replaced his deceased father in these roles. He retained the Collector of Customs until his death.
In 1822 he married Charlotte Stanton (1799-1839). They had the following children…
- Mary Julia
- Eliza Jane
In 1825 Warren relocated the ferry crossing and customs office to a point north on the river near his house (between the current day Lavinia and Catharines Streets, Fort Erie) along the river road. This same area was at the heart of fighting at the Battle of Frenchman’s Creek.
On February 1, 1831 John Warren, Jr. was elected as the member of the legislature for Haldimand. He held that office until his death September 5, 1832. He is buried in the churchyard at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Fort Erie, Ontario. Charlotte died in 1839 and is buried there with him.
Veteran SummaryJohn Warren
Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd Regiment Lincoln Militia
Place of Birth
Unknown, NY, USA
Place of Death
Bertie Township, Lincoln County, ON, CAN
Died on: 01 FEB 1831
Location of Grave
St. Paul's Anglican Church Cemetery, Idylewylde St
Fort Erie, ON, CAN
Latitude: 42.919848N Longitude: -78.913346